Home » Community » Wine and Grape Guide » Oltrepo Pavese DOCG

Oltrepo Pavese DOCG

Oltrepo Pavese DOCG

The Oltrepò Pavese DOCG Metodo Classico is a classic or traditional method sparking wine produced in the province of Pavia, the name translate as “beyond the River Po in the province of Pavia”, and became “as metodo classic” a DOCG in 2007, before it was a DOC and included and still includes all wines made in the area, still, red, rose and white and sparkling (only Martinotti or Charmat method).

Characteristics of the Oltrepo Pavese Metodo Classico, other than the second fermentation taking place in the bottle is a minimum of 15 months on the lees for the NV and 24 months for the “Millesimato”.

According to the disclipinare, regulation, the Oltrepo Pavese Metodo Classico must be made with a least 70% of Pinot Nero grape with the remaining 30% any or combination of Pinot Grigio, Pinot Bianco and Chardonnay grown in the in the Oltrepo’ Pavese wine region, a region located in Lombardy and bordering with Piedmont and Emilia Romagna, a wine region that benefits from an excellent microclimate thanks to their proximity to the river Po.

The Oltrepo' Pavese are is one of the major wine producing Italian wine regions and it is considered the Pinot Nero motherland. Buttafuoco is another very little known wine produced in the area.

For our selection of Italian classic method wines click here

Currently we do not stock any wine, but we think you might like one of these wines